Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Firsts.....

Well, last month was full of firsts.  Isaac's first birthday August 10th, Isaac's 1st angelversary August 30th.  It wasn't an easy month and i am glad it is over.

So, todays blog is also going to be a first - its my first post about camping!! 

Oh i love camping!!  I know a lot of my friends agree with me but i also know a lot think i am completely mad too.  Maybe i am but hey ho.  I adore going camping.  It gets me all excited and happy and i love nothing more than setting it all up when i get there - its like a grown ups version of a wendy house. 

I am very passionate about my tents, they are like my babies.  I know a lot of people won't understand this but i am quite emotionally attached to my tents.  We have an outwell montana 12, a 12 berth monster of a tent that i adore greatly.  She has 4 bedrooms and a little area for the loo and she is awesome!  Then there is our small 4 man canvas marachel (but you'd have to be a very friendly 4).  She is perfect for weekends for the two of us and the dog and she is orange so Justin loves her, lol.  Lastly there is our FAB folding camper, Penelope the pennine.  Penelope was given to us by amazing friends and has definately overtaken the montana as my favourite.  She has beds that are off the floor with mattresses, a sink and stove inside and proper seats to sit on.  And best of all she goes up in about 10 minutes at the most (if we don;t put the awning up).      We also have a small polyester tent of Justins but i don't like it so we don't use it lol.  Its too small and i can't stand up properly and i just don't feel a bond!  

If i am totally honest i would say that we will more than likely now be using Penelope every time we go away.  With the awning she is massive and plenty big enough for when my nieces come away with us or if we have more children and without the awning she is still a good size but also VERY quick and easy to put up.  So really we could sell the other tents.  But i don't want to!!   I love them.  I would cry if i had to sell Mavis the montana!!  I seriously would sit and cry. 

I have a distinct camping style!  I am a fan of glamping. I have a carpet for my tent,  I like nice sites with decent toilets and showers, i like to have electric hookup for my lights and mini oven and heater and hairdryer and straighteners and kettle and lots more i could think of.  Now some people would say thats not proper camping but personally i don't really care.  I love taking all the bits, putting all the camping furniture together, setting it all out and playing house.  Our latest purchase for Penelope was a set of solar lights to put up outside.  Not tried them yet but i am thinking they will look v pretty :) 
I have tried basic camping.  I was cold, i was uncomfortable, i hate sleeping bags (i take a duvet) and i was miserable.  I also looked a mess as i couldn't do anything with my hair.  Each to their own i say.  I have compromised (for my bf who is a fan of basic).  We don't always take the loo now but that does mean he gets woken up in the night to walk to the loo block with me :)

I get a bit cross with some people who moan when i say i am going camping.  They often ask why or start moaning about when they went and hated it.  9 times out of 10 when questioned they have either never been or they have been in a rubbish cheapy tent that leaked, with basic sleeping bags and little equipment and don't understand why i would pay £100's for a tent when they paid £50 for theirs - well because mine doesn't leak, it won't blow over unless we have very severe winds, it has PLENTY of room to sit in if its cold and wet outside and its fabulous.  Its like comparing a shed to a house. 
I wouldn't dream of groaning when people tell me they are going abroad for a fortnight to sit on a beach so why do they think its ok to groan at me when i say i am going away in my tent?  Its quite rude in my opinion.  We choose to go away several times in our tent rather than once on a plane that i am terrified of and wait a year for the next holiday. 

And we're away again soon :)  Taking Penelope out for her last outing before she goes away for winter.  Yay!!  Isaac would have loved camping.  Maybe thats why he caused problems and came early cos we were camping and he wanted to join in, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment